Sunday, March 8, 2009

Orienteering

Nate and I went on an awesome date yesterday! He took me orienteering, which involved starting in the middle of the woods at a designated post and using only a printed topo map and compass to navigate and try to find other small brown posts using the marked spots on the map.
It was great to be outside, the weather was perfect, and very exhilarating to see how well we could stay on course and not deviate from our aligned path. Nate had tried to explain to me how easy it was to get off course, but I it was just one of those things you have to expereince to really grasp and understand. I couldn't believe how hard it was, once I had set my course and picked a specific tree only twenty yards away, to walk to that specific tree without mixing it up with another one that looked just like it. And that is while there are still no leaves on the trees or underbrush. I quickly learned to never take my eye off the tree I wanted to go to, and it was still a challenge at times. There were so many thoughts going through my head of how the lessons I was learning about orienteering paralled many gospel turths. Anyways, it was great and I can't wait to go again.
I took our camera with us to take some pictures, but the only ones I ended up taking were of Preston who came with us in a baby backpack. How can I not take pictures of him? He's so cute. So I'll post that at least.

1 comment:

  1. That date has a potential object lesson to it -- never take your eye off your goal or something! <:

    ReplyDelete