Sunday, July 19, 2009

Bloomington, home, Idaho, home to be

We came in the dead of winter........





Above is a picture of our trailer as the snow drifted half it's height somewhere in the middle of Montana and Idaho at the beginning of our long trek out to Indiana 5 and a half years ago. It is a picture of where we were stopped right on the highway just outside of West Yellowstone, only 3 hours into our 24+ hour drive that still lay ahead, because of the snow. We could not turn around and were told it would only be a matter of a couple hours before the roads were plowed and again opened for travel. Well, after sleeping in our cars overnight, and about 16 hours later, we were finally allowed to keep going. Let me tell you, after moving all our belonging across country in the middle of winter in the eye of a huge snow storm, almost having the trailer fishtail off the road because of the ice several times, arriving in Bloomington IN at 2AM in the morning and not being able to check into our apartment, and then getting food poisoning from Arby's, you'd think we would have learned not to do it again. Ha! That was our first welcome to Bloomington Indiana, our home to be for the next 6 years. Well it looks like we just don't learn very well because.......


We are again headed across country with all our belongings (this time plus three little ones) in the middle of December to Idaho! Rexburg, Idaho to be more specific. =) This week we accepted an offer on our home which is a huge blessing and relief. We are set to close and be out of our house Aug. 28 AND, thanks to the parents of some of our friends here, we have also found a place to live for the few months that we will be here from then until Dec. when Nate graduates.

I cannot express how perfectly everything has fallen into place in the last week. Although I have felt like we are living a bit in limbo land until December due to knowing for so long that we will be leaving, I am trying not to forget something Nate and I learned back when we were both students and moved to several places each year. That is to unpack no matter how long or short you are going to be somewhere. In this case, don't pack up too early either. I know I will greatly miss this place and the people we love here when we are gone, and so I don't want to miss out on the time we still have remaining while we are here. Some of the things I already know I will greatly miss include:

#1) Our first little house
:

Our first little house that we put so much sweat and time into fixing up from a smoked in, pets in, nasty bank repo to a warm, functional, and cute home. I'll miss our garden spot, our kitchen, our peach tree, even our neighbors who love and care for our dog as much as we do.
Here are a couple before and after pictures.










#2) Our Ward Family:





Our loving ward family, from Lyn and the girls who have come to our house almost every week since the twins were born to help watch the kids so I could get out, to the Tibbs and the Bairds and the Deckers and on and on, to the young men and young women who we've had the privilege of serving, to the Primary children, to the individual people who we've served with or have helped us. They have all made a difference in our lives.

#3) Great friends, especially Sally and the kids



Really, I can't imagine a week go by that I don't talk to or see or do something with Sally and her kids. The only times we don't are when she or I are either out of town or have company visiting. I will miss our outings to the park, the library, the children's museum, the mall, the pool, or just each other's houses. I'll miss the way our kids scream and shout for joy every time they see each other while running to hug and when our girls spontaneously decide to all three hold hands. I'll miss my morning text or call from Sally to plan what we could do that day. I'll miss being able to share my thoughts and feelings and plans and joys and triumphs and frustrations and sorrows about motherhood and life with her. I'll miss her example and positive attitude, her ability to plan and organize fun things to do, her desire to help and reach out to and include other people, her articulate way of expressing ideas, and maybe most of all I will just miss the peace of knowing I have a friend just a few minutes away whom I know I could call on anytime for anything.

#4) The beautiful outdoors:




From the colors of the leaves in the fall to the blossoms of spring to the flowers and greenness of summer.....


To the berries and even the humidity......


And don't forget learning how to fish for and catch all kinds of weird non-trout fish.......bass, bluegill, catfish, and sunfish......


Bloomington Indiana is where Nate and I bought our first house, our first dog, our first horse. It is where we have had our first three children. It is where we have learned and grown as a family in more ways than I can mention. This truly has been our first true place of home together as a couple and family. This has helped me remember what we have been blessed with here and renewed my desire to continue to enjoy it while I still have time!










8 comments:

  1. At the exact moment you wrote this blog post I was writing one about you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! You almost made me cry thinking of the too many times we've left places and people we've loved. It's a sad time, but such great things are on your doorstep!! Congrats on selling the house! What a huge relief!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost made me cry too! It is so hard to leave places and people that you love and have been such a huge part of your life...it's hard and exciting at the same time! That is so great you guys found a job that is so close to your families! That will be so awesome for you guys! We'll have to meet up and go camping sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me miss Bloomington...and you guys! We're so happy about the offer on your home. Sorry you'll be homeless for a while, but glad you have people stepping in for you like you guys did for us. I think your advice to unpack at each place is wise; every time we moved house-sits it would be a feeling of relief to unpack in the new place. But the less you have to tote and unpack the better.

    Fun to see again the transformation you made in your home. You really created something beautiful.

    Gotta run -- crying David. I love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen -- this is Traci. What a great post! It made me miss Bloomington.

    I love what you have done to your house. I only ever saw it in the "after" stage and although I knew it was a foreclosure and you had done work on it, it was just amazing to see how much you have done to improve it from before. I think that house is finally happy now.

    Good luck with the last few months. Enjoy it while you can, as I was so surprise how much I missed Bloomington after we left. I'm glad to be back home but Indiana was a good time in my life.

    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer...you guys did an AMAZING job on that house. I'm sure it will be so hard to leave it, BUT...there's a better one waiting here in Idaho!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very true...we miss B-Town all the time. You guys will do great up in ID though. Good luck!!! - Kris

    ReplyDelete